There are a few options available for watching from your TV. We recommend heading to the virtual festival and watching some film trailers and sponsor reels to test out your planned setup before the festival begins on May 15. Here's how to watch a program on our virtual platform:
- Head to the virtual festival by visiting watch.eventive.org/mountainfilm2020
- Sign in to your Eventive account from the menu in the upper right corner.
- Click on the Catalog to see our full selection of programs.
- Click on the program you want to watch.
- Unlock with your festival pass or choose to watch one time for $10.
- The program will load and the video will start playing once you choose to play.
Below are some ways to try connecting your device to your TV. Keep in mind that the most foolproof way to watch films will be from a computer with the most up-to-date browser and operating system.
Direct Connection: Computer to TV
One way to watch on your TV is by directly connecting your computer (or other devices) to your TV via HDMI cable. Here are guides on how to connect using a Mac and if using a PC.
Apple TV App*
*Available only for Apple TV models Generation 4 and higher.
- From your Apple TV device, launch the App Store.
- Search for the app Eventive TV and install the app. Here's how to download apps from the App Store to your Apple TV.
- Once the app is installed, it will ask you for a code to connect to your Eventive account. On your computer, navigate to watch.eventive.org/mountainfilm2020 and log in at the upper right-hand corner.
- From the same menu in the upper right-hand corner, select TV app setup and enter the code from your Apple TV device.
- You must first unlock programs on your computer, tablet or smartphone to be able to watch them on your Apple TV.
Roku (BETA VERSION)
The Eventive app for Roku is in Beta version and changes may be made to the app at any point.
- From your computer, tablet or smartphone, add the Eventive channel to your TV by going here: https://my.roku.com/add/6MHHHM2 *The channel is not currently available in the Roku app store, you must add it by visiting the website.
- Click OK when the BETA version pop-up comes up.
- Click Yes, add channel to add Eventive TV - BETA to your account.
- Check your TV to see if the Eventive app has been added. Select the app with your TV remote to bring up the Mountainfilm program on the app.
- Once the app is installed, on your computer, tablet or smartphone, navigate to watch.eventive.org/mountainfilm2020 and log in at the upper right-hand corner.
- You must first unlock programs on your computer, tablet or smartphone to be able to watch them on your Roku.
- Make sure your devices (iPhone, iPad, laptop, Apple TV or Smart TV) are connected to the same wifi network.
- Using the Safari browser on your Apple computer, iPhone or iPad, go to the AirPlay icon.
- Connect to your Apple TV by entering the code. Your device screen should appear as a mirror on your TV.
- If you are having audio sync issues when AirPlaying from your computer, try connecting from an iPhone or iPad.
- If you are trying to AirPlay to a Smart TV, you must first select the program you want to watch from your Apple device and then select the AirPlay button from within the Eventive player.
- Still having trouble? Here's a step-by-step guide on how to use AirPlay.
Stream directly from a tab in the Chrome internet browser to a TV connected to a Chromecast device from your Mac or PC computer. Note: At this time, Chromecast is not available to cast from Apple iOS devices, like the iPhone and iPad. Once your Chromecast is set up you can stream directly from your computer.
- On the video page, open the Chrome menu in the upper right corner of the window (or the View menu) and select Cast. Make sure the tab you want to be displayed is the one you are selecting to cast.
- Select your Chromecast source (consider selecting Chrome tab) and your Chromecast destination. Chromecast will then be connected and video will be playing on your TV.
- To disconnect from Chromecast, click the blue Stop icon next to your casting destination.
- If there are any issues with the Chromecast stream, try setting the video to a lower quality.
- Still having trouble? Here's a guide on how to use Chromecast from your computer.
Limited Screenings & Live Events
Programs with Limited Screenings
Most of the films will be available to watch at your leisure and from anywhere in the world May 15–25, but there are a select few that have geographic, date, time and/or capacity restrictions. Head to the Limited Screenings & Live events page on our website. If a film has a restriction of any kind, it will have a red banner on it that says Limited Screening. Click on the film to see all information regarding any restrictions. Once you are in the virtual festival you will find these programs in the Limited Run section. For any films with time restrictions, you will have a three-hour window from the listed start time to unlock the program. Keep in mind that all times are listed in MDT.
In order to keep a little bit of that special Mountainfilm connection, we are holding a few live events such as Q&As with filmmakers, panels and workshops. Check out the Limited Screenings & Live events page on our website. If a film or presentation has a live component, it will have a green banner on it that says Live Event. Click on the film or presentation to see the time and date of the live event. Once you are in the virtual festival you will find these programs in the Live Streams section. Keep in mind that all times are listed in MDT.
Live events will not be available to watch from the Apple TV or Roku apps. In order to participate in the Q&A during a live event, you will need to watch from a computer to use the chat feature within the player. You can also watch live events from a tablet or smartphone, however, these devices will have limited functionality in the chat.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have not received a confirmation email from Eventive. How do I access the festival?
Eventive automatically emails your pass confirmation to your email with the subject Pass order confirmation - 2020 Mountainfilm Festival. If you did not receive it, please check your email spam folder. If the email is not in your spam folder, then try logging in with your email address to access Mountainfilm’s virtual festival at watch.eventive.org/mountainfilm2020. If you still are having trouble, contact us.
I don’t remember my password. What should I do?
If you don't remember your password, you can reset it here. Once you've reset your password, head back to the virtual festival and try logging in again. If you are still having trouble accessing your account, don't hesitate to contact us.
Are films rated?
Documentaries are not given ratings, but much of Mountainfilm content would garner a PG or PG-13 rating. Pay special attention to film descriptions; some films delve into challenging content — such as war, slavery or gun violence — and the description will help you make a decision based on your household.
Can I watch films outside of the US?
Most of the films will be available to watch from anywhere in the world, but there are a select few that have geographic restrictions. Check out the Limited Screenings & Live events page on our website. If a film has a restriction of any kind, it will have a red banner on it that says Limited Screening. Click on the film to see information regarding any restrictions. For any films with additional time restrictions, keep in mind that all times are listed in MDT.
Can I watch films at any time or are they scheduled?
Most of the films will be available to watch at your leisure from May 15–25, but there are a select few that have date and/or time restrictions. Check out the Limited Screenings & Live events page on our website. If a film has a restriction of any kind, it will have a red banner on it that says Limited Screening. Click on the film to see information regarding the screening schedule and any restrictions. Once you are on the festival platform you will find these programs in the Limited Run section. For any films with time restrictions, you will have a three-hour window from the listed start time to unlock the program.
Where can I find the live event schedule?
Check out the Limited Screenings & Live events page on our website. If a film or presentation has a live component, it will have a green banner on it that says Live Event. Click on the film or presentation to see the time and date of the live event. Once you are in the virtual festival you will find these programs in the Live Streams section.
Can I watch live events from the Apple TV app?
Live events will not be available to watch from the Apple TV app. In order to participate in the Q&A during a live event, you will need to watch from a computer to use the chat feature within the player. You can also watch live events from a tablet or smartphone, however, these devices will have limited functionality in the chat.
Can I watch a film more than once?
Once you click Play a film program, you have 24 hours to watch it. This is to prevent users from sharing login information. If you would like to invite a friend or family member to watch a program, please encourage them to purchase a pass or buy a one-time screening ticket for $10. After you've started watching a program, you will see an indication of how much time is left to finish the screening.
How do I purchase an individual ticket to a program?
If you would like to purchase a $10 ticket to an individual program, head to the virtual festival by visiting watch.eventive.org/mountainfilm2020. Here you can browse through all of the available programs. Purchase your ticket by selecting Unlock and then enter your email address to create an account. You will then be prompted to enter your credit card information to complete the purchase of your ticket. Individual tickets will be available for purchase beginning at 9:00 a.m. on May 15.
Is there a way to create a watch list?
You can create a watch list using the My Content Library feature in the virtual festival. Add content to your library by unlocking the films that you would like to watch within the player.
- Go to https://watch.eventive.org/mountainfilm2020 and make sure you are signed in to your account in the upper right corner.
- Go to the program you wish to add to your content library. By clicking Unlock and selecting Unlock with [Unnamed Pass/Your Name] for $0, the film will be added to your Content Library under the Currently Unlocked label.
- To view your Content Library, click your initials in the upper right corner, and from the drop-down menu, select My Content Library.
- Once you click Unlock, you will be able to watch the film anytime within the dates of the festival.
Note: Do not click "Watch Now" (or press play) until you are ready to watch the film. Once you press Watch Now, you have 24 hours to watch the film.
Can I rewind or start a program over?
Yes, you have complete access to the entire program during your watch window.
Do the films have closed captioning?
Closed Captions are available on browsers only for Big Fur, Eddy’s World, The Disrupted, The Story of Plastic and Welcome Strangers. We recommend that all Apple users use Safari. Closed Captions are not currently available on Apple TV or Roku.
Can I watch programs through Amazon FireStick?
No. At this time, streaming the festival using Amazon products (FireStick, FireCube, Kindle, etc.) is not available. The Roku Beta channel is available. See Ways To Watch above for details.
Does my web browser affect streaming?
We have had success streaming with the browsers listed above. If you are trying to access a film program and receive an error message, clear your browser history, then close and restart your browser.
I bought a film or program and now it's telling me to unlock it again. What do I do?
Please confirm that you are logged in with the same email address or Facebook login you used to purchase your pass. You can login using the login link at the upper right corner of the screen, or if you are not logged in at all you’ll be prompted to login after clicking "Unlock Now."
Why does the image quality of the films change sometimes?
The quality of the image depends on a few factors:
- Your internet speed. The player will auto-adjust to your internet speed. Your internet speed may change periodically based on how many other users are on your home network, the time of day, etc.
- The quality of the image depends on the quality of the source we receive. Please consider that we always use the best available material.
I clicked on a film program but it will not play. Why?
Please see our troubleshooting guide.
How do I adjust the volume on the web player?
- Hover the cursor over the video you are currently watching to make the video controls visible.
- On the bottom left, the sound icon controls the volume.
- To control how high or low the volume is, hover the cursor over the volume bar and click the left side to lower the volume or the right side to raise the volume.
How do I vote for the Audience Choice Award?
After each film plays, you will see an option to rate the film as Excellent, Very Good, Good or Fair. The voting feature is not available through the Apple TV app – you must vote using a computer, tablet or smartphone. Voting will close at noon on Sunday, May 24.
When will the award winners be announced?
Voting will end at noon on Sunday, May 24. We will then take all of the ratings, put them in a fancy formula and voilà! – the Audience Choice Award winner will be revealed. You can watch the awards ceremony that evening to see the announcement of all the award winners. Then, you still have Monday to watch any award-winning films you may have missed.
More questions? Be sure to check out Eventive's FAQ Guide.