Submissions for the 2020 Festival are closed
DEADLINES & FEES*
Features are defined as 40 minutes and above, shorts as less than 40 minutes.
|Early||Dec 13, 2019||$65||$45|
|Official||Jan 10, 2020||$85||$55|
|Final||Feb 3, 2020||$100||$65|
*Mountainfilm is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and strongly believes in filmmaker support. Submission fees help fund our yearly Commitment Grants and Emerging Filmmaker Fellowship. Your submission fee is assisting filmmakers with production and post-production support!
RULES & TERMS
We collect submissions through FilmFreeway, an easy-to-use platform servicing 400,000 active users and over 7,000 festivals. If you don’t already have an account, you will need to create one.
Please be prepared to complete the application in full. Incomplete applications will not be considered. You will need to provide the following:
- Complete contact information
- Film information including a short synopsis, specifications and hi-res production stills
- Director headshot and bio
- Entry fee
- Link to an online screener (Vimeo strongly preferred)
- Acceptance of Rights and Releases
- Mountainfilm is a documentary film festival. If your film is not a documentary, please reconsider submitting it.
- Feature documentaries are 40 minutes and longer. Shorts are under 40 minutes, including credits.
- Film entries may be of any length, from any country and on any subject in keeping with our mission. Subtitled films should either be in English or include English subtitles.
- At this time, Mountainfilm does not accept VR projects.
- With very few exceptions, Mountainfilm requires that films have not been screened or broadcast in Colorado prior to the festival. We take other previous screenings, broadcasts and online availability into consideration when making official selections.
- Mountainfilm prefers newer films for inclusion. For the 2020 festival, we are seeking films making their premieres after June of 2019.
- Mountainfilm will consider shorts that have had an online presence, though our preference is to highlight work that has not already reached a large audience.
- Only complete applications will be considered. This includes full contact information, film synopsis and specs, hi-res production stills, a trailer (features only), a Vimeo screener link and director headshot and bio.
- Mountainfilm strongly prefers Vimeo links over FilmFreeway's video uploads.
- Your screener link must remain active until June 1, 2020.
- We are a DCP only festival. If accepted to screen at Mountainfilm, you will be required to provide a DCP through our partner Simple DCP.
- Entry fees are non-refundable.
- If you are from an LMIC or are a student, please contact us for a submission fee discount/waiver.
Due to the number of submissions received, Mountainfilm cannot provide feedback on entries.
Mountainfilm uses the power of film, art and ideas to inspire audiences to create a better world. Mountainfilm is a multi-dimensional festival that celebrates adventure, activism, social justice, culture, the environment and indomitable spirit. We accept and screen feature and short films on a broad range of subjects. We are always interested in work that focuses on mountains, mountain culture, and mountaineering, but we also showcase films about people who are dedicated to changing the world. See a complete list of films from the 2019 festival here.
Mountainfilm honors filmmakers and film subjects alike, awarding cash prizes that are announced at the Closing Picnic, Monday, May 25, 2020. View the 2019 award winners.
Best Documentary Feature: $2500
Best Short Film (sponsored by Vimeo — previous Staff Picks not eligible): $2500
Audience Choice Award: $2500
Women in Film Award: $2500
Moving Mountains Award (supports a nonprofit featured in a film): $1000
Charlie Fowler Best Adventure Film: $1000
Norman Vaughan Indomitable Spirit Award: $1000
Student Choice Award (awarded by a jury of local students): $600
Call 970-728-4123, ext. 12 or email us.