Submissions for the 2019 festival are closed
DEADLINES & FEES*
Features are defined as 40 minutes and above, shorts as less than 40 minutes.
|Early||Dec 14, 2018||$65||$45|
|Official||Jan 11, 2019||$85||$55|
|Final||Feb 4, 2019||$100||$65|
*Mountainfilm is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and strongly believes in filmmaker support. Submission fees help fund our yearly Commitment Grants and Emerging Filmmaker Fellowship. Your submission fee is assisting filmmakers with production and post-production support!
We collect submissions through FilmFreeway, an easy-to-use platform servicing 400,000 active users and over 7,000 festivals. If you don’t already have an account, you will need to create one.
Please be prepared to complete the application in full. Incomplete applications will not be considered. You will need to provide the following:
- Full and complete contact information
- Film information including a short synopsis and specifications
- Headshot and filmmaker bio
- Entry fee
- A link to a Vimeo online screener
- Acceptance of Rights and Releases
- A complete application including a trailer, headshot, bio, and preferably a Vimeo screener link. Your link must be active until June 1, 2019.
- Mountainfilm is a documentary film festival. Please reconsider applying if your film is fiction as it will most likely not be accepted.
- Film entries may be of any length, from any country and on any subject in keeping with our mission. Subtitled films should either be in English or include English subtitles.
- We are a DCP only festival. If accepted to screen at Mountainfilm, you will be required to provide a DCP through our partner Simple DCP.
- If you are from an LMIC or are a student, please contact us for a submission fee discount/waiver.
Mountainfilm is America’s premier documentary film festival celebrating adventure, activism, human rights, culture, environment and indomitable spirit. Our mission is to use the power of film, art and ideas to inspire audiences to create a better world. We accept and screen short and feature-length films on a broad range of subjects. We are always interested in work that focuses on mountains, mountain culture, and mountaineering, but we are also partial to films about people who are dedicated to changing the world. Our Moving Mountains Symposium theme for 2019 is equity. We encourage you to submit films that discuss or address this topic, though the festival will feature films on a wide range of documentary subjects. See a complete list of films from the 2018 festival here.
Mountainfilm honors filmmakers and film subjects alike, awarding cash prizes that are announced at the Closing Picnic, Monday, May 27, 2019. View the 2018 award winners.
Call 970-728-4123, ext. 12 or email us.