2024 SUBMISSIONS OPEN OCTOBER 10, 2023
Deadlines & Fees:
Features are defined as 40 minutes and above, shorts as less than 40 minutes.
*Mountainfilm is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and strongly believes in filmmaker support. Submission fees help fund our yearly Commitment Grants and Emerging Filmmaker Fellowship. Your submission fee is assisting filmmakers with production and post-production support!
- Mountainfilm is a documentary film festival. If your film is not a documentary, please do not submit.
- Feature documentaries are 40 minutes and longer. Shorts are under 40 minutes, including credits.
- Film entries may be of any length, from any country, and on any subject in keeping with our mission. Subtitled films should either be in English or include English subtitles.
- At this time, we do not accept VR projects.
- With very few exceptions, Mountainfilm requires that films have not been screened or broadcast in Colorado prior to the festival. We take other previous screenings, broadcasts, and online availability into consideration when making official selections.
- Mountainfilm prefers newer films for inclusion. For the 2024 festival, we are seeking films making their premieres after May of 2023.
- We will consider shorts that have had an online presence, though our preference is to highlight work that has not already reached a large audience.
- Only complete applications will be considered. This includes full contact information, film synopsis and specs, hi-res production stills, a trailer (features only), a Vimeo screener link and director headshot and bio.
- We strongly prefer Vimeo links over FilmFreeway's video uploads.
- Your screener link must remain active until June 15, 2025.
- Entry fees are non-refundable.
- If you are from an LMIC, a BIPOC filmmaker, or a student, please contact us for a submission fee discount/waiver.
Rules & Terms
We collect submissions through FilmFreeway. If you don’t already have an account, you will need to create one.
Please be prepared to complete the application in full. Incomplete applications will not be considered. You will need to provide the following:
- Complete contact information (This should be the main contact for the film. All communication about your submission status and beyond will be sent to this contact).
- Film information including a short synopsis, specifications and hi-res production stills
- Director headshot and bio
- Entry fee
- Link to an online screener (Vimeo strongly preferred)
- Acceptance of Rights and Releases
Due to the number of submissions received, we cannot provide feedback on entries.
Mountainfilm uses the power of film, art and ideas to inspire audiences to create a better world. Mountainfilm is a multi-dimensional festival that celebrates adventure, activism, social justice, culture, the environment and indomitable spirit. We accept and screen feature and short films on a broad range of subjects. We are always interested in work that focuses on mountains, mountain culture, and mountaineering, but we also showcase films about people who are dedicated to changing the world. See a complete list of films from the previous festival here.
Mountainfilm honors filmmakers for their extraordinary storytelling by awarding cash prizes that are announced following the festival. View the 2023 award winners.
Read through the Frequently Asked Questions. If you still need help,