There are two months until Mountainfilm in Telluride’s 34th annual festival. Consider yourself duly notified.
Ten Simple Steps for the Best Memorial Day Weekend…Ever
- Get Psyched: Visit www.mountainfilm.org. Check out the growing list of festival guests, the symposium and return to the site regularly for updates, including the announcement of films. The schedule will take shape just before the festival.
- Mark Your Calendar: Cancel any scheduling conflicts near May 25 through May 28. Most weddings are tedious and if you’ve seen one graduation, you know what they’re like. But with Mountainfilm in Telluride, each one is different.
- Inspire Someone: Call a few friends (especially the ones who need a kick in the seat) and ask them if they want to have their life changed over Memorial Day weekend in Telluride, Colorado.
- Buy Passes: Early bird pass discounts end May 1.
- Book Your Travel: The recent merger between Continental and United has temporarily affected flights to Telluride (TEX), but that issue should be sorted out soon. You can also book flights in and out of nearby Cortez (CEZ), Montrose (MTJ), Durango (DRO) or Grand Junction (GTJ). There’s additional information about getting to Telluride on Mountainfilm’s website.
- Find a Pillow: Accommodations are easy to book. If not, bring a tent and an extra-warm sleeping bag because it gets cold at night.
- Lay of the Land: Telluride is not like other mountain towns. We know that every chamber of commerce pitches a string of superlatives, but we guarantee that this place is truly spectacular. For details and photos, go to www.visittelluride.com.
- Be Friendly: “Like” us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for festival-related announcements, blog posts and other useful tidbits.
- Pack: Maybe it’s a little early for the actual packing, but be sure to bring clothing that accommodates spring mountain weather (temperatures that can range from 28 to 78 degrees Fahrenheit), sunglasses, sunscreen, hats and sturdy walking shoes.
- Rest: It’s a big weekend with lots of laughs, eye-opening moments and wildly ranging emotions. We pack it with events, films and presentations. Coffee Talks begin at 8 a.m. each morning, and we hear that a few parties from 2011 haven’t ended yet.