Fellowship Applications are due by July 31
- Suzan Beraza, Festival Director
Mountainfilm is committed to supporting documentary filmmakers in telling stories that support our mission to inspire audiences to create a better world. We seek non-fiction stories celebrating adventure, activism, social justice, culture, environment and indomitable spirit. Mountainfilm promotes and encourages diversity behind the camera.
In an effort to give early-career filmmakers much-needed support, Mountainfilm launched the Emerging Filmmaker Fellowship in 2018 focused on supporting documentary filmmakers in production or post-production on their first or second documentary.
Are you a seasoned filmmaker? Check out our Commitment Grants.
Awards & Prizes
The fellowship provides one filmmaker with a yearlong mentorship, including edit and story consultation, networking opportunities and a $2,000 cash award. In addition, the fellowship includes a trip to Telluride during the festival over Memorial Day weekend, covering travel, lodging and a Mountainfilm pass ($3,000 value).*
*Only good for the subsequent year following your application (i.e. the winner of the 2021 fellowship attends in 2022.)
Rules & Terms
- Submissions will be open from July 1–31, with notifications in September/October.
- We accept applicants from any country, however, you must be currently residing in the United States.
- You must include a director bio, headshot and cover letter.
- You must also include a video sample or trailer of your current project (no longer than 10 minutes). We prefer password-protected Vimeo links for our jury as opposed to uploads.
- Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
- We consider projects in production and post-production.
- You must first be sure your film project has been entered into FilmFreeway (under My Projects). If not, select Add a Project.
- Please fill out all information that is applicable. If a question does not apply, or you don't yet have the asset, i.e. poster or website, enter N/A.
- Under Credits, only include those that apply or are currently confirmed. If not applicable, ie. Writer or Key Cast, feel free to delete that section by clicking the X on the upper right hand side of each credit.
- Under Specifications: Project Type, please indicate if your film is a short or a feature. The Fellowship only funds documentaries, so please also check Documentary under Project Type to confirm that you understand this guideline and that your film is indeed a documentary.
- Do not complete sections: Specifications (Scripts, Music, Photos).
This program is supported by Elizabeth & Allen Cutler.